A Brief History of Advent
The season of Advent developed in the Church over time. Here are 10 facts that you may not know about the roots and meanings of Advent.
1. Advent is a time of expectation and preparation for the birth of the Lord.
2. Advent has a changing start date.
3. Advent marks the beginning of the liturgical year.
4. The Advent season has two meanings.
5. Hope is a predominant theme of Advent.
6. Advent is a reminder of the Old Testament promises of the coming of the Messiah.
The Advent tradition of the Jesse Tree consists of symbols of the Messiah coming from the line of Jesse (Lk 3: 23-38). Isaiah is often read during this season to remember that we are waiting for the day when the Messiah will come again.
7. Advent focuses on light as opposed to darkness.
8. Advent has two parts.
9. The origins of Advent can be traced back to the Church in France.
10. Advent as we know today was developed in Rome.