Catholic Apostolate Center Synodality and Lay Ministry Page
XVI Ordinary General Assembly of the Synod of Bishops - Session 1 Information
Resources on the Synod from the Vatican that explain the process, background, and outcomes for the Church during this Synodal process:
- North American Final Document for the Continental Stage of the 2021-2024 Synod
- Presentation of New Synodal Process
- Address at the Ceremony Commemorating the 50th Anniversary of the Institution of the Synod of Bishops, October 17, 2015
- Synodality in the Life and Mission of the Church, International Theological Commission --
- Pope Francis: “Address of His Holiness Pope Francis to the Faithful of the Diocese of Rome”
- Plenary Council Participation and Reception: Synodality and Discerning the Sensus Fidelium by Ormond Rush
- Synod Preparatory Document
- Vademecum for the Synod on Synodality
- Adsumus, Sancte SpiritusPrayer of invocation to the Holy Spirit for an ecclesial assembly of governance or discernment (thus synodal)
- Document of the Synodal Process. XVI Ordinary General Assembly of the Synod of Bishops
- Address to the Members of the National Council of Italian Catholic Action (section 3 related to synodality), April 30, 2021
- Episcopalis Communio, Apostolic Constitution
- Pope on Synod: The participation of everyone, guided by the Holy Spirit
- UNITATIS REDINTEGRATIO—Sections of Note: 6 (renewal in the Church is always oriented to a deeper fidelity to the mission given to us by Jesus Christ)
Toward a Synodal Church: Co-Responsibility and the Lay Apostolate
What does a “synodal Church” truly look like? How can we engage bishops, priests, and the laity in the Church in effective ways of moving the Church forward? Join this webinar with Most Rev. John Wester, Archbishop of Santa Fe in New Mexico and Episcopal Liaison to the National Association for Lay Ministry (NALM), Colleen Moore, Director of Formation for the McGrath Institute on Church Life at the University of Notre Dame in South Bend, Fr. Rafael Capó, Vice President for Mission at the University of St. Thomas in Miami, Julia McStravog is the Synod 2021-2023 Consultant for the United States Conference of Catholic Bishops in Washington DC.
Colleen Moore is the Director of Formation for the McGrath Institute on Church Life at the University of Notre Dame in South Bend.
Julia McStravog is the Synod 2021-2023 Consultant for the United States Conference of Catholic Bishops in Washington DC.
Fr. Rafael Capó is the Vice President for Mission at the University of St. Thomas in Miami.
Most Rev. John Wester is the Archbishop of Santa Fe in New Mexico and Episcopal Liaison to the National Association for Lay Ministry (NALM).
Moderator: Fr. Frank Donio, S.A.C.
Toward Communion: The Role of the Laity Across Cultures and Generations
The Catholic Apostolate Center and the United States Conference of Catholic Bishops Secretariat for Laity, Marriage, Family Life and Youth are pleased to announce the fourth webinar in a series surrounding synodality on May 4, 2022 at 3 pm EDT. This webinar, Toward Communion: The Role of the Laity Across Cultures and Generations, will explore themes of lay engagement across different cultures and generations. The webinar will feature Bishop Larry Silva, Diocese of Honolulu, Dr. C. Vanessa White, Associate Professor of Spirituality and Ministry at Catholic Theological Union, Dr. Jem Sullivan, Associate Professor of Practice in Catechetics at The Catholic University of America, and Dr. F. Javier Orozco, Executive Director of Human Dignity and Intercultural Affairs for the Archdiocese of St. Louis.
Synodality and Lay Leadership from the Magisterium’s Perspective
The Nexus of the Laity and the Catholic Church Today
This is the first webinar in the Catholic Apostolate Center's series with the United States Conference of Catholic Bishops Secretariat for Laity, Marriage, Family Life and Youth. This webinar will introduce and explore the themes of co-responsibility and synodality in the Church. Join Archbishop Nelson Perez, Hosffman Ospino, Paul Jarzembowski, Jennifer Baugh, and Fr. Frank Donio, S.A.C. for a conversation about lay ministry, apostolate, and participation in the Church today.
Toward Participation: Unpacking Leadership of the Laity in the Church
The Catholic Apostolate Center and the United States Conference of Catholic Bishops Secretariat for Laity, Marriage, Family Life and Youth are pleased to announce the fifth webinar in a series surrounding synodality. This webinar, Toward Participation: Unpacking Leadership of the Laity in the Church, explores themes of leadership throughout the Church. Included in this webinar is a discussion of engaging the laity into leadership positions, co-responsibility with priests and the laity, and promoting shared work as part of mission for the Church.
The webinar is moderated by Paul Jarzembowski, Associate Director for the Laity for the Secretariat of Laity, Marriage, Family Life and Youth at the USCCB. This webinar features Bishop Daniel Flores of the Diocese of Brownsville, Mark Erdosy, the Executive Director of Mission Integration at Marian University in Indianapolis, Matthew Manion, the Faculty Director for the Center for Church Management at Villanova University outside of Philadelphia, Helen Osman, President of SIGNIS, an international Catholic communications association, headquartered in Brussels and Rosie Chinea Shawver, the Executive Director of Catholic Association of Latino Leaders (CALL), based in Los Angeles.
Resources on Synodality
- Gaudium et Spes—Sections of Note: 1 (the Church is united in community to strive for holiness in the context of the modern world), 4 (the Church must look at the context of the modern day and adapt to serve the needs of humanity in the current day),
- Evangelli Gaudium—Sections of Note: 26 (call for continual renewal of the Church through ecclesial structures, but the structures of the Church much have life and passion driving them forward), 119 (all are called to the table and to evangelize via the sensus fidei), 46 (the Church should have open arms for all, slow down and listen to people [encounter them], and be welcoming and loving to all)
- Lumen Gentium—Sections of Note: 13 (on the uniqueness of individuals and the call every human has to participate in the building up of the Church), 23 (mission of bishops in collaboration with diocese and Pontiff), 32 (commonality and call to human fraternity), 33 (Cooperation of laity in ministry with Church hierarchy [i.e.: priests and bishops]), 48 (we are all called into the community of the Church and God’s love via his life, death, and resurrection),
- Dei Verbum—Sections of Note—2 (accomplishment of the Mission of Christ through the Church and individuals), 8 (enumerating the call of bishops and ecclesial hierarchy to disseminate the Gospel to the people as leaders and hand on Sacred Tradition),10 (reestablishes authority of the Magisterium)
- Fratelli Tutti—Sections of Note: 32 (“we are all in the same boat” mentality and that we are saved through community and common fraternity)
- Laudato Si—Sections of Note: 13 (discusses the need to care for our shared environment but for the synod, it draws attention to the need for social change to improve the human condition and how young people demand change for the better),
09 October 2021, Moment of reflection, Pope Francis
- Pope: Celebrating Synod means walking together on the same road; be sure to also review the Living as Missionary Disciples video series, particularly the sections on encounter and accompaniment.
- Pope warns that synod could be ‘elitist’ exercise unless all have a voice
- By listening to Holy Spirit, synod can be process of healing, pope says
- Synodality: the fruit of prayer, a letter to all brothers and sisters called to monastic and contemplative life
- What is Synodality? Article by Bishop Barron, February 18, 2020
- A closer look at synodality and its promise for a more inclusive church
- General Audience, November 25, 2020
- Pope Francis: The People of God must be consulted before the October 2023 synod of bishops
- Synod of Bishops will begin in the local Churches
- Sister Becquart: there is no synodality without spirituality
- What is ‘synodality’? Catholic News Agency, October, 25, 2018
- What is a synod in the Catholic Church?